Embarcadero Delphi XE2 is Embarcadero's latest release of Delphi. With hundreds of new features and enhancements, Delphi XE2 will help you build ultra-rich applications ultra-fast. With Embarcadero Delphi XE2 you'll find new ways to get your work done faster, build higher quality apps, and take advantage of multi-tier and cloud.
What's New in Delphi XE2?
Delphi XE2 offers exciting new functionality giving you the ability to build highly visual, business applications for Windows, Mac and iOS. New Windows 64-bit support throughout, FireMonkey, new VCL styles, live data bindings, expanded database connectivity, and much more.
- Build 64-bit Windows applications Now you can create 64-bit Windows applications with Delphi to take advantage of the latest hardware, access more memory, and push the envelope of performance. All Windows technologies are 64-bit enabled included FireMonkey, VCL, RTL, the Delphi compiler and debugger streamlining the migration of existing VCL applications to 64-bit.
- Create more visually stunning and interactive applications Delphi XE2 with the new FireMonkey application platform enables you to compile natively to Windows, Mac and iOS. Your applications take full advantage of the power and speed of the CPU and GPU.
- Create visually stunning and interactive applications Quickly build FireMonkey applications that are visually spectacular, highly interactive and data rich for PCs, Macs and mobile devices. Deliver rich business applications that engage your users with an immersive, interesting, and interactive application experience.
- Bring new style to your VCL applications Delphi XE2 introduces VCL Styles, enabling you to apply a custom look and feel to your VCL applications. Styles are applied to your existing components and UI elements so it's easy to get a new look without swapping out components. Choose from the included, professionally design styles or use the VCL Style Designer to customize or create your own.
- Put your data and logic in the cloud Delphi XE2 includes expanded cloud computing integration with new data and deployment options. The included cloud API supports data storage and access to blobs, message queues and tables on Windows Azure as well as Amazon Simple Queue Services, Simple DB, and Simple Storage Service. Use the new Deployment Manager to deploy your applications to both Amazon EC2 and Microsoft Windows Azure.
- Connect everywhere Delphi XE2's dbExpress delivers new connectivity options with support for InterBase XE, FireBird 2.5, SQL Anywhere 12 and ODBC giving you more database choices than ever. New DataSnap mobile connectors allow you to build Mobile clients for iOS, Android, Blackberry, and Windows Phone (using Xcode, Eclipse, and Visual Studio mobile development tools) that connect seamlessly with your Delphi DataSnap servers.
- Break free from grids visualize live data Delphi's new LiveBindings let you connect any data source to any VCL or FireMonkey user interface or graphic element. LiveBindings give you the power and creative freedom to present data to users in more intuitive and interactive ways. LiveBindings also include expressions giving you incredible power and flexibility to build "dynamically" calculated and updated bindings.
- Work smarter and faster with an expanded developer toolbox Delphi XE2 includes both new and updated integrated tools to help you get your job done faster. Delphi XE2 now includes FastReport for quickly designing and generating reports; and Documentation Insight, an integrated live source code documentation tool. XE2 also includes 64-bit versions of TeeChart, IBX, InstallAware, IP*Works, FinalBuilder, IntraWeb and Indy.
What you might have missed since Delphi 7
Many Delphi users wonder whether they'll find compelling reasons to migrate to Delphi XE2. Here they are: a plethora of new features allied to unparalleled developer productivity, all aimed at your ability to create higher-quality applications with improved performance.
This page gives a quick snapshot of the new, top level, capabilities in each of the Delphi product releases since Delphi 7. If you want a deep-dive, you may want to download the whitepaper Reasons to Migrate to Delphi XE2: What you might have missed since Delphi 7 that includes a few good reasons to migrate, along with an overview of all the new features added to Delphi product releases since version 7.
New Embarcadero Delphi Features by Release
- Multi-unit namespaces, for ... in ... do loops, inline functions and other code optimizations.
- Heterogeneous database access, multi-tier database applications
- Refactoring, Source code History view
- Unit testing
- Code block completion/Surround, Editor Change Bars
- Live Code Templates
- UML Modeling, Audits, Metrics, Doc Gen
- Design Patterns
- MSBuild, Build Configurations
- VCL AJAX, Vista compatibility
- Vista and XP Themes for applications
- dbExpress new framework, delegate drivers, Unicode database support
- Unicode throughout the language, library and IDE
- Generics and Anonymous Methods
- Resource Editor, Class Explorer
- DataSnap multi-tier
- VCL new components, Custom Hints, Ribbon Controls
- Localization Integrated Translation Environment, External Translation Manager
- Windows 7, Multi-Touch and Gesture support, Direct-2D
- IDE Insight, Source Code Formatter, Search task bar
- Background compilation
- Enhanced RTTI
- Breakpoints in threads, freeze/thaw threads
- DataSnap HTTP protocol support
- Subversion integration
- Regular Expression library
- AQTime, CodeSite, Beyond Compare, Final Builder
- Cloud Services and Cloud Deployment
- FireMonkey Platform
- Windows 64-bit, Mac and iOS development
- VCL Styles
- RTL support for Windows and Mac
- DataSnap Monitoring and Control
- DataSnap Connectors
- dbExpress drivers for Mac, Windows 64-bit and new dbExpress ODBC driver
- Cloud API support for Amazon
- Deployment Manager and Platform assistant